Having problems with your mother-in-law? Want to find a way to getting along with your mother-in-law? Read these tips on how to get along better with your mother-in-law.
- Do not have an open-door policy. Instead, set up the times to see each other that will work for the both of you. If they ask you to make a decision immediately, say that you need to check your calendar or with your husband first.
- If your mother-in law tries to force her opinions on you, assume she has good intentions, say thank you, and do your own thing. If she continues, cite an authority. For example, “Thank you, but we have decided to take our pediatrician’s advice.”
- Stay away from conversations that include politics, religion or any other sensitive topics.
- Never blame your mother-in-law for the shortcomings of your hubby!
- Accept that you have joined another family and make sure to share every holiday evenly with both the wife’s and husband’s families.