Change Your Name. To update your last name, there are a few steps you must do.
- Apply for a new Social Security Card with the updated information
- You need to go to the DMV to update your driver’s license.
- Update your name on your alumni associations, professional memberships, subscriptions, and your place of employment.
Get Your Financial Affairs in Order.
- Go to the bank and put your married name on all your accounts.
- Order new checks, new credit cards, and ATM cards with your new name on them.
Plan For The Long Term.
- Create a Will.
- Update your insurance policies.